Transformer Design Engineer
This position will be responsible for designing distribution and power transformers. This includes the evaluation of customer specifications, evaluation of core and coil assembly and complete re-design of transformer coils. The position is responsible for providing winding specifications, design schematics, winding bill of materials, performance data for testing, and approval of final test results. The position will learn, understand, and be able to perform transformer design on distribution transformers with layer wound coils. The position will work to develop and maintain design programs to aid in the design of transformers as needed. The position will provide training on transformer design for engineers in the engineering department. The position will provide customer and technical support to internal and external customers of the engineering department.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Design of substation and distribution transformers.
- Develop winding specifications for winders.
- Develop assembly schematics for core and coil setup.
- Provide bill of materials for winding needs.
- Evaluate customer specifications for design of transformers.
- Provide technical support to internal and external customers of the engineering department.
- Potential growth into Design Manager position; overseeing other design engineers.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Possesses communication skills sufficient to work effectively on complex and advanced technical issues and relate this information to both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze problems and make independent judgments to initiate corrective action or resolution within deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word software packages.
- Satisfactory current performance and work history.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze existing transformer designs and account for customer specifications to redesign a transformer in Solomon’s re-manufacturing process.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge of transformer design principles to be able to design transformers with circular layer, rectangular layer, inverter, rectifier, harmonic, and special furnace applications.
- Must possess skill to analyze complex design as part of reverse engineering process to re-design back to customer specifications.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge to design power transformers with continuous disk and helical type of windings with or without LTC’s which would include regulating winding and preventive auto designs.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge to design high voltage medium power transformer up to 138 KV and 650 KV BIL and KVA sizes up to 30 MVA.
- Must possess sufficient knowledge to design electrical connections and produce wiring schematic to production areas and for external customers.
- Must be proficient in providing technical support and solutions to internal and external customers.
- Must have 3-5 years of transformer design experience with distribution and power transformers up to 69 KV.